Vacancy Announcement for the post of APAARI Executive Secretary
Issued on: [8 June 2012]
Deadline for application: 31 July, 2012
The Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI) seeks applications for the position of Executive Secretary. APAARI was established in 1990 at the initiative of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and most of the Agricultural research Systems (NARS) of the Asia-Pacific Region. It aims to promote the development of NARS in the Asia-Pacific region through inter-institutional and inter-regional cooperation. The overall objective of the Association are to foster the development of research in Asia-Pacific region so as to: promote the exchange of scientific and technical information, encourage collaborative research, promote human resource development, strengthen organizational and management capabilities of member institutions and strengthen cross-linkages and networking among diverse stakeholders.
Position Title: Executive Secretary
Grade level: Position is to be filled at around P5 level
Remuneration : A suitable remuneration package at the level of P5 will be discussed during the interview process.
Duty Station: APAARI Secretariat located at the FAO Regional Office for Asia-Pacific, Bangkok
Duration: Initial appointment will be for two years, extendable further as per APAARI rules and regulations
- Ph.D. in any branch of agricultural sciences from a recognized institution;
- 15 years of research experience in agricultural science and technology, of which at least 5 years in senior management position either as head or leader of a program/project at the national/regional/international level;
- Experience in planning, implementing and coordinating research and development programs.
- Experience of working in a senior position in some international center/national organization;
- Experience of organizing international/regional expert/policy level meetings;
- Established leadership and significant scientific contributions in the related field of specialization, as evidenced by publications/reports/awards etc.;
- Fluent in English
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance of the Executive Committee and General Assembly of APAARI, the Executive Secretary will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Organize conferences, workshops, training programs and other meetings as per decision of the Executive Committee;
- Organize General Assembly and Executive Committee meetings, prepare the minutes and arrange their publication and distribution and, maintain records of the reports and proceedings of all meetings of the Association;
- Prepare the Association’s work plan and budget, propose new programs and activities with other regional and international organizations and ensure coordination of activities among the members of the Association;
- Develop regional and inter-regional collaborative projects, as decided by the Executive Committee or the Chairman in coordination with the NARS involved and the partner research and development institutions/agencies within and outside the region and to communicate and follow-up with the relevant donors to fund the projects for implementation;
- Provide support and follow-up with the Coordinators of the Regional Programs and Crop/Commodity Networks under the umbrella of APAARI and ensure implementation of planned activities.
- Manage the financial resources of APAARI, in particular, collect annual membership fees and receive any other financial contributions, maintain account, make payments in accordance with approved budget of APAARI and submit audited accounts to the General Assembly /Executive Committee;
- Publish APAARI Newsletter, proceedings of conferences/ workshops/consultations and other technical reports.
- Undertake any additional duties entrusted by the Chairperson or the Executive Committee.
Selection Criteria: Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Level and relevance of technical qualifications.
- Extent of research expertise and demonstrated analytical ability.
- Relevance of experience in planning, implementing and coordinating programs relating to agricultural research.
- Proven ability to organize and conduct technical meetings and write clear and concise reports in English.
- Established leadership and demonstrated ability to work in multi-cultural environment to ensure team work for quality performance.
- Demonstrated ability to promote scientific interaction across NARS, CG Centers, Science academies, NGOs, CSOs, farmer organizations and private sector.
Submission of Application:
Those interested may send a letter of interest, substantiating his/her suitability for the position together with curriculum vitae, supporting documents and the names of three professionals (including telephone and facsimile numbers, and e-mail addresses) who could provide references upon request.
The application under confidential cover must reach either by post or email (email@example.com) latest by 31 July, 2012 addressed to Chairman, Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions, C/o TAAS, Avenue II, I.A.R.I., Pusa Campus, New Delhi-110012, INDIA.
Kindly note that only the short listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted and called for interview by the Search-cum-Selection Committee.