Vacancy for the position of Technical Associate – APCoAB under Asia-Pacific Consortium on Agriculture Biotechnology and Bioresources (APCoAB) Program of Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI)
Duty station: APAARI, 2nd & 4th Floor, FAO Annex building, 202/1 Larn Luang Road, Pomprab Sattrupai District, Bangkok 10100, Thailand
Contract period: Initial appointment is for 2 years, with possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funds. Contract can be terminated with prior notice of 2 months to employee or by employer, as the case may be.
The Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI) which is a regional membership-based, self-mandated, apolitical and multi-stakeholder partnership organization in the Asia-Pacific region was established in 1990 by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Its overall objective is to foster agricultural research, innovations and development to contribute to addressing the concerns of hunger, poverty, environment degradation and sustainability of agricultural production in the Asia-Pacific region.
Asia-Pacific Consortium on Agricultural Biotechnology and Bioresources (APCoAB) is one of the key program to contribute in various thematic development thrust of strategic plan of APAARI. APCoAB is an apolitical forum with a goal to enhance the benefit of biotechnology and bioresources for sustainable agricultural development in the Asia-Pacific region, through greater stakeholders’ partnership, improved policy environment, enhanced capacity building and greater public awareness.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the guidance of Coordinator, APCoAB and under over all supervision of Executive Secretary, APAARI the Technical Associate – APCoAB will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Report to the Coordinator, APCoAB.
- Assisting in preparation and providing technical and logistical support to the Coordinator, APCoAB, for event organization e.g. high level policy dialogues, meetings, symposia, workshop and expert consultations related to agricultural biotechnology and bioresources.
- Assistance to the Coordinator, APCoAB in identifying and executing the defined activities under APCoAB, mining data and information and in preparing power point presentations.
- Assistance in organizing the Steering Committee meetings of APCoAB.
- Preparing, sending out and following up on invitations for meetings.
- Maintaining the list of participants and participants’ confirmations.
- Formatting and disseminating pre- and post-event communication material to participants.
- Assisting with media involvement.
- Consolidating event papers and presentations.
- Assisting with preparation of event evaluation.
- Maintaining accurate and organized files for events.
- Categorizing and organizing various document on the website e.g. reports and publications.
- Updating/modifying the databases and management of the content of news-worthy items, stories, events to promote agricultural biotechnology and bioresources to wider audience in Asia-Pacific region in a timely and accurate manner through APCoAB website.
- Maintaining APCoAB‘s online presence through social platforms, including monitoring, engaging and sharing information through all forms of APCoAB Social Media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Blog and others, to better support APCoAB ‘s communication and advocacy efforts.
- Any other support as and when assigned by Coordinator, APCoAB.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master degree in Agricultural Biotechnology or Life Sciences with specialization in agricultural biotechnology or Botany with specialization in agricultural biotechnology.
- A minimum of two years of experience in the context of agricultural biotechnology and bioresources and international development related to agricultural biotechnology and bioresources.
- Computer literacy (Words, Excel, PowerPoint, data analysis, Table, bar graph etc.), web designing.
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel in countries of Asia-Pacific region
- Proficiency in English language for speaking and writing with editing capabilities. Proficiency in Thai language is not essential but will be an added advantage.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding f agricultural biotechnology, including ability to systematically organize information, observe deadlines, work under pressure and show persistence when faced with challenges, and demonstrate strong organizational skills with commitment.
- Teamwork: Ability to work individually as well as in collaboration with international colleagues from various countries, solicit inputs of others and value their ideas and expertise, accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings, support team members and willing to learn from the others.
- Communication: Excellent communication in English (speaking and writing) and inter- personal skills (confident, respectful, positive, articulate, professional and diplomatic), clear communication, editorial skills, willingness to share information and ideas, and ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with APCoAB/APAARI members, partners and stakeholders, by gaining their trust and respect.
- Technology awareness: Ability to keep abreast of and adapt to new process and methodology of agricultural biotechnology and computer literacy, including the preparation of Excel spread sheets, Power Point presentations, Statistical analysis of data, Data mining from different internet sources/portals related to agriculture in general and agricultural biotechnology and bioresources in particular.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary will be competitive in accordance with the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
- 20 days of annual leave.
- 20 days of annual sick leave.
- Contributory Provident Fund of 5% per month
- Contract for 2 years renewable for further period based on performance and availability of the funds.
- Applications containing the personal information, qualifications, experience, additional information (if any), three references with complete contact details (full address, email, Phone and Fax number) and passport size photo, may be sent to: Coordinator, APCoAB (email@example.com cc to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Closing date of receipt of application is July 31, 2018.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for personal interview. APAARI has rights to postpone or cancel the recruitment with out assigning any reason.